Sunday, January 16, 2011

Just one thing: live your life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.   Phil. 1:27

You may be familiar with the poem "The Dash".  It begins.....

I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone from the beginning...to the end.
 He noted that first came her date of birth and spoke the following date with tears, but he said what mattered most of all was the “dash” between those years.

 For that dash represents all the time that she spent alive on earth...and now only those who loved her know what that little line is worth. 


For it matters not, how much we own; the cars...the house...the cash, what matters is how we live and love and how we spend our “dash”.  The poem continues.

Spending time with my mother in the last days of her earthly journey, I've been reflecting on "the dash" of my mother.  Looking through pictures of my mom, there are snapshots of her as a child on the farm, holding me as child, her with my children, trips she has taken, friends she has made, NASCAR races she attended, and her favorite Purdue player signing her jersey. Photos of the Cancer Support Group, Relay for Life events, Camp Bluebird, scrapbooking, quilting, gardening and it goes on and on.  I'm sure there are many years I haven't even looked at yet because we went through a "slide" phase!

A snapshot in my mind is the time when my mom told me about Jesus.  I was probably in 3rd grade & I remember her telling me about Jesus and how He will return someday.  The thought of the dead rising from their graves & people just vanishing scared me!  I don't think she knows that it caused me to not sleep a lot of nights!  She got out the Bible and showed me Revelations.  She was preaching Hell, Fire & Brimstone to a 8 year old!  While it may not have made me make a life changing decision at that moment, I still remember it to this day.

I'm sure many people have stories about my mother.  My mom has lived her life with much grace and humbleness.  I have rarely heard her complain.  She's done many things without grumbling.  She's considered others before herself & loved many along the way.  In her final days, she's continuing to live gracefully.  May God bring her the peace she needs & the comfort she deserves.

The poem ends....

So, when your eulogy's being read with your life's actions to rehash...would you be proud of the things they say about how you spent your “dash”?

I want to live my dash loving God.  I want God to be the difference in my life that makes a difference for generations to come.   It's never too late for you to make a difference in your life & family.  Humble yourself before God, cry out for forgiveness. We are all sinners but God's love is a love that never fails.  

2 comments:

  1. I wish you would stop making me tear up!!
    Love you!!
    Bette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said Cande. Your Mom is a special lady and has always been good to me. Prayers are with you and your family during these difficult days. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete