Monday, February 14, 2011

New Year's Resolution

Transparent  trans-pair-uhnt  easily seen through, recognized, or detected

It's February and I'm talking about my New Year's Resolution.  From the website, myoneword.org:


“My One Word” is an experiment designed to move you beyond the past and look ahead. The challenge is simple: lose the long list of changes you want to make this year and instead pick ONE WORD. This process provides clarity by taking all of your big plans for life change and narrowing them down into a single thing. One word focuses on your character and creates a vision for your future.


It didn't take me long to come up with my one word - TRANSPARENT, easily seen through, recognized, or detected.  I chose this word for many reasons.  Here are just a few:


  1. I dislike people who pretend to be something they are not.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have an uncanny sense of people.  I believe it can be called discernment.  However you classify it, it's not always a great thing.   Sadly, my first sense of people have been proven true time and time again.  Happily, that sense of people has gained me great friends.
  2. If you want to honestly know something, I will tell you.  Beware, you may not like the answer, but it will be as honest as I can get.
  3. I have told many people my life is like an open book.  I'll share my past, my present, my frustrations, my money woes, stories of my children, my family, and anything else you want to talk about.
I haven't always been this way & spent many years pretending to be a person I wasn't.  I've lied, twisted the truth to avoid conflict, or said what I think you want to hear.  I told many people about my life story, but I haven't told a lot of people about Jesus.


You may think that by my words or actions you've seen, that isn't true.  I know in my heart I have missed many opportunities that have been presented.  The missed chances were not because I wasn't aware.  I chose to ignore them because I was in a hurry, tired, or didn't want to be bothered at that very moment.


I can't change people who pretend to be someone they aren't.  I can share with them that Jesus can mold them into His perfect image.  I will continue to honestly answer, but I can choose to be quick to listen & slow to speak.  My life has been created by Jesus to use for His glory.  I will continue to share stories of my past & my present as I share about how God continues to use these situations and circumstances to work through me.


I want it to be transparent that I am a follower of Christ.  I think this resolution will be so much better than eating healthy & exercising!

No comments:

Post a Comment