Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Thanksgiving, Christmas & the New Year!

Thanksgiving came and went quickly.  I spent a fantastic 4 days with my dad and his wife.  I had uncontrollable crying spells the day he left and for 5 days after.  Not a day went by that we didn't talk on the phone - usually for no less than 1 1/2 hours.  How do you put a time limit on getting to know one another?

Before dad and his wife left at Thanksgiving, we had began planning our next get together.  Since dad wasn't able to meet the girls, he wanted to meet them and more so, he wanted to spend Christmas together.  I don't even remember a Christmas together.  Due to the kid's work schedules, it was determined we would have Christmas a week early.  Dad decided to return after only being gone for a little over a week so we could share Christmas as a family for the first time.

Sidenote:  A couple years ago during the Summer Olympics, we had family backyard olympics.  We set up the volleyball net, challenged one another in badminton, ladder ball and, of course, volleyball.  Since that was family fun, it was determined we should do Christmas Winter Olympics 2013.  Knowing Christmas was going to be practical presents for our kids (i.e. kleenex, toilet paper, deoderant, etc.), I began planning some fun!

Mid-December and my dad and his wife have arrived back to our home.  Jerod came back around to spend time playing guitar with his grandpa.  Mattye came home from college, Jessi arrived and the girls meet their grandpa for the first time.  Since I personally feel I have great kids, and I think dad is an easy person to get to know, all went really well.  Sometimes I noticed dad sitting and smiling a huge smile as my kids carried on interacting with one another, telling stories, and being themselves.  We all had a great time.

Our Christmas Olympic weekend began with a "team breakfast" at our house followed by "team pictures".
It was a joyful moment taking pictures as a family, with grandkids, and as father & daughter.  I honestly had a moment where I shed a few tears while thinking how God worked this entire situation.

After the above picture, everyone changed into warm clothes and the kids were challenged to head out on a scavenger hunt.  Also know as the "Parade of the Country".  Dad and I had put out clues earlier in the day in preparation of the big event.  Together they found the clues, performed the tasks, and completed the hunt.  The next event was the "Snow Triathlon".  Thanks to friends who offered up their backyard, we tubed/sled, climbed the hill, and showed off trap shooting skills until the cold snapped the firing pin in the gun and the other kept jamming. We returned home via Dairy Queen to play "Fa-La-La-La Farkle", indulge in more food, drink hot cider, and open presents.

Our family fun time ended, but dad and his wife stayed around until the day after Christmas.  Knowing that dad was having partial knee replacement surgery after the new year, Todd & I discussed how I could visit dad's home and I could be there during the surgery to help as needed.    So January 1st, Todd & I headed to Arkansas.  Todd came home on the 5th while the plan was I would stay the next 2 weeks.

Dad's surgery was on January 6th.  His hospital stay was through the 9th.  He came home second guessing the surgery he agreed to and with medicine that was unable to control his pain.  There were many challenges in the first week at home, but with phone calls and persistence, plus time for healing, things started to turn around.  I left dad's January 19th in tears but confident in his progress.

I'm certainly glad I had the time to share with my dad.  We had many conversations - some he probably doesn't even remember.  We spent hours together in the same room for two weeks. I was able to be an encouragement and a helper when he needed it.  I'm so thankful that God rearranged my life months before I even knew dad and I had this opportunity to spend with him.  I very grateful my husband has been such a supporter and provided encouragement to me through this entire craziness of reuniting with my dad.

Most of all, God has been totally awesome and continues to blow me away with His plan for my life.  I'm thankful He changed my heart and my life years ago.  I'm certain that without the love of God and seeking His guidance while looking for answers, I would not have had the calm assurance I've had during our reunion. Since November 27th, 2013, my dad and I have spent 18 days apart at the time of this writing. Our next visit is already planned.  Dad has marked his calendar.  We're both looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment